Monday, November 16, 2009

Read This Now.

Thanks for tuning in, folks. I'll write a little more down at the bottom, but in the interest of time, I'm gonna turn the mike over to Planned Parenthood:

****************************
Bad news for women's health -- please help!

The health care reform bill that recently passed in the House of
Representatives includes a ban on abortion coverage for millions
of women with private health insurance and would also prohibit
coverage in the new public option, even if they are paying for
most or even all of the cost themselves. It's a complete
betrayal of women, and we can't let it be part of the final
bill.

Leaders in Congress and the White House have the power to put a stop to the discriminatory Stupak amendment -- and it's up to us to make sure they do so. Join me and Planned Parenthood in urging President Obama, Majority Leader Reid, and Speaker Pelosi to eliminate the Stupak ban and protect women's health. Click here:
http://bit.ly/PPFutureOfChoice


***********************************************
Hi, Jessica here again.
So, here's the bottom line, politically and personally:

I'm writing to you from Louisiana, deep in the heart of the South, where I continue to meet beautiful, warmhearted folks who welcome me into their homes, businesses, and churches, share their culture and wisdom, exchange information, ask me for help, and make me feel safe. For the most part, I don't talk politics, because I know there's a good chance we'd be on opposite sides of the picket line.
But I hope they know -I hope you know- that if if we ever do meet in that sort of situation, despite the obvious differences, I'm still looking out for our similarities. I might not be welcome at your fundraisers, but you're always welcome at my table. I am -and have been, for a long time now -the woman smiling across the isle. "Hi, it's nice to meet you. Tell me what you think I need to know."

Having said all that, I've researched all sorts of perspectives on this topic, left, right, and center. And I don't expect to change anybody's minds, because wherever folks are coming from, they've a right to their beliefs, just as I've a right to mine. (This attitude tends to make politics tricky, though much more peaceful).
I guess the bottom line for me is that I don't feel like I have the right to make decisions for anybody else, though I do have the responsibility to live my life with kindness, support for others, and unconditional positive regard for the rest of existence. And I don't expect the same back. But I do believe I have the right to take care of my body, mind, and spirit the best that I can in the way that I see fit. To me, that's not just the heart of health care; it's the definition of respect.

Copyright (c) 2009-2014 Jessica Bellantone. Please email me when reproducing content. Thank you!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected