Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mary Poppins (coming soon to a driveway near you)


Whitney, 10-year-old extraordinaire and daughter of the herbalist I'm staying with, asked me yesterday if I used some sort of magic spell on my car.

I probably do. The sheer quantity of stuff I've fit in my little teal home-on-wheels has earned it comparisons from "a magic bag" to "a traveling Walmart" (you know, if Walmart carried mostly organic stuff, gave it away, and supported the Dixie Chicks...). I prefer to think of it as a cross between a prairie schooner and a three dimensional Tetris game.

The list of things that I have in my car is pretty varied (who else roams around with gold flakes and henna?), but almost all of it falls into one of five categories: Herbs, Ingredients, Clothing, Camping/Household Supplies, and Entertainment & Education(Books/Music/Art). Since most of what I own fits in those groups anyway, even when I'm not playing nomad, this allows me ample opportunities to announce my favorite travel phrase: "Ooh, I have some in my car!"

Lynda and Whitney have taken to calling me Mary Poppins.

In no particular order, here's a sampling of the things people have idly wished for or seemed to need that my car has immediately procured:

-whiskey
-veggies
-a blanket
-maple syrup
-a Verizon cell phone & chargers
-good chocolate
-a jacket
-ceremonial tobacco
-hair tonic
-cold remedies
-spice and herb blends
-books
-pens
-makeup
-informational pamphlets
-fresh fruit
-henna
-skin salves
-sweaters
-herbal emennagogues
-allopathic medicine
-honey
-olive oil
-all natural conditioner
-soy milk
-empty bottles
-empty jars
-CDs
-sleep remedies
-dried herbs and spices
-seaweed
-a sewing kit
-a lighter
-dental floss
-rope

This happens all the time, but I've never run out of what I need.

My theory is that as long as our hands are open, we're conduits for the Universe's blessings, messages, lessons, and gifts. As soon as we try to hold onto what we have, we lose the capacity to receive what we need.

I'm not saying give away the things, time, or energy you don't want to part with. There are times when it makes sense to protect and defend that which you need and want or are holding in reserve, to say "No" to that which is asked, offered, or demanded. But to do so bears a cost, as does every choice, and it pays to be aware of the exchanges we're engaged in, both miniscule and grand.

Think about your life and ask yourself: Do you want what you have, or are you willing to consider an upgrade?

Copyright (c) 2009-2014 Jessica Bellantone. Please email me when reproducing content. Thank you!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected